Since its initial release in 2003, Skype has been around allowing users to send messages, make voice calls, share various types of media and data with other users. Whatever its attractive features, you can opt to close your Skype account. When you find it much more difficult to uninstall your Skype account than many other accounts, you’ve come to the right place to get account deletion guides.
Things to know before deleting your Skype account
It’s understood that most service providers make account deletion more difficult because users can unintentionally delete their accounts. So does Skype. Since Skype has been bought by Microsoft, if you decide to close your Skype account there are more things to take care of.
You should unlink your Microsoft account to ensure you still have access to other Microsoft services.
1．Visit Skype.com and sign in to Skype.
2．Open “Settings and preference”.
3．Click on “Account settings”.
4．Click on the “Unlink” button next to your Microsoft account.
5．To unlink your Microsoft account, click “Continue” when the confirmation window appears.
If you have purchased subscriptions using your Skype account, you should also cancel these active subscriptions.
How do I delete my Skype account?
Now that you have unlinked your Microsoft account and canceled your Skype subscriptions, you can choose to close your Skype account using one of the methods below.
1. Delete your Skype account on Android or iOS devices.
- Launch Skype app on your Android or iOS devices.
- Click on the profile
- Click on “Account & Profile”
- From the options on the right panel, tap “Close your account”.
- Follow the instructions to verify your identity.
- Check the list of things you need to consider before you close your Skype account and tap “Next”.
- Check the list of consequences after closing your Skype account.
- If you have made up your mind to delete your Skype account, mark each consequence and select a reason for account deletion.
- If your reason is not listed, choose “My reason isn’t listed” and click “Mark account for closure”.
- Your request for account deletion will be processed by Microsoft within 60 days.
2. Delete your Skype account on desktops.
- Open the Skype app on your computers.
- Click on your profile picture.
- Click on “settings”.
- Choose “Account ＆ Profile”.
- Under this section, you will see the “Close your account” Click it to continue.
- When you are required to verify your identity, enter your ID and password again. Your account shall be verified via email or SMS.
- Read the list of things you need to take care of before deleting your Skype account.
- If you are sure you’ve taken care of all of the listed things, tap “Next”to continue.
- Then, it will show you the consequences of closing your Skype account. Read carefully to make sure you really want to leave Skype.
- Mark each item and select a reason from the drop-down list of reasons for deletion or “My reason isn’t listed”.
- Tap “Mark account for closure”.
- Wait 60 days for Microsoft to process your request.
3. Log into your Microsoft account to delete your Skype account.
Skype allows you to close your Skype account within the Skype app. You can also go to your Microsoft account to mark the closure of your Skype account. The technique is very similar to the methods set out above. You can quickly uninstall your Skype account by referring to these instructions.
4. Ask Skype Customer Service to delete your Skype account for you.
If you think all of the above ways are troublesome, you can contact Skype Customer Service to close it for you. So, you don’t need to do it by yourself.
While Skype is a VoIP service that has gained popularity since its release, many Skype users still want to leave it. The reasons users decide to leave Skype differ accordingly. And there are many good Skype alternatives for your security and privacy.
But if you want to remain secure and private online, a good alternative to Skype isn’t enough. Using a virtual private network is the best solution. You are assigned a new IP address by a VPN service and your traffic is routed through an encrypted tunnel. You are safe against ISP, the government, hackers and even terrorists in this way.
We would like to introduce you to use RitaVPN. Browsing the Internet in a secure and confidential way is what the best VPN does for you. In addition, RitaVPN can unblock websites if any of the Skype alternatives in your country are not available. Last but not least, RitaVPN also provides free trials and cost-effective subscription plans. This VPN service isn’t going to let you down.